Thursday, September 23, 2010

One-Skillet Wonder: Beef and Spinach Pasta


Goober tried spinach a few weeks ago. She didn't like it. Goober tried spinach again tonight. She liked it. A lot. What did I do? I found a recipe I found on Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen website (you must check that site out!) that is a pasta dish with spinach in it. Goober is a pasta-holic. I fooled her into eating spinach! Hah! It's an age-old mom trick to mix veggies into casserole dishes and it works most of the time into fooling children into eating their veggies.

I simplified the recipe (original recipe link) by skipping the oven part (saves power, an extra dirty dish, and time especially if you have a very hungry toddler) so that's why I call it a one-skillet wonder. My husband also didn't like the competition of the Cream of Mushroom soup with the tomato flavor so I think I'll either half the amount or leave it out next time (probably healthier to leave it out anyway). Your choice.

Beef and Spinach Pasta:

1 Pkg favorite noodles, cooked (rotini, spirals, bowtie, shells, etc.)
1 diced onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
Ground beef
1 bottle of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup (again, your choice to 1/2 it or leave it out)
1 (10 oz pkg) chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
Healthy helping of Parmesan cheese
& Mozzarella cheese

Boil noodles according to package. Meanwhile, brown onion, garlic, and ground beef in large skillet. Drain excess grease (I use a spoon and tip the pan a little to ladle out some of it into a can I put in the freezer rather than dumping it down the sink.) Stir in spaghetti sauce, soup, and spinach. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Add cooked noodles. Stir well and then top with Mozzarella cheese.

Ring the dinner bell. Serve with a side of salad, perhaps some breadsticks or crusty french bread. Voila! It's like you just made a dish from the Olive Garden (but cheaper)!

1 comment:

Jana said...

Hm! That is tricky.