Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Snow Day Pancakes

Today, the Iowans declared it a snow day and that means it's pancake day in our household! Rather than the ol' bisquick or box pancake mixes, I whip mine up from scratch. Oh that must be sooooo hard! Says me never. So today I'll share the recipe that I've adapted over the years for my family.

First rule of thumb is pancakes in our house must contain at least one fruit, be it bananas or apples or chocolate chips. Er wait, chocolate chips don't count, do they? :P

Today's pancakes started with three bananas tossed into the bowl and promptly mashed with my whisk. (Some minor frustrations may or may not have been dealt with in the process.) Then I added the rest of the basic pancake ingredients:

2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup quick oats (the instant oatmeal kind)
2 TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt
 2 TBSP baking powder
+/- 2 tsp cinnamon
+/- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup oil
+/- 2 cups milk

Note that how much cinnamon and nutmeg you add really depends on your personal as well as familial preferences. Whisk all that together while the griddle is heating (250-300 degrees on an electric griddle or medium heat on a stove top griddle). Using the 1/4 measuring cup, splort some batter blobs onto the griddle and cook until little bubble holes start popping up. Flip and let the other side get golden brown as well.

I can't recall how many pancakes one batch makes. Sometimes our little family of four eats them all and sometimes we have a few leftovers for the freezer.

No comments: