Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sloppy Joes, slop, sloppy Joes!

Slacker! I'm guessing it's time again for that obligatory update every six months to a year post? Sorry. Nothing new here. Same old, same old. Still experimenting in the kitchen, haven't set off the fire alarm in the past several months. Though, yes, the oven could sure use a cleaning again. Note to self: baking soda is a rather crappy cleaner due to the white residue it left behind last time.

Last night, I was really craving some sloppy joes so I began defrosting a couple chunks of ground beef while I scoured the cupboard for sloppy joe mix...oops, I ran out of it. Have no fear! Random cookbook of the shelf to the rescue! And if I didn't have one, I would've just headed for pinterest instead.

I love compilation cookbooks sold by fundraisers. Come by my house pedaling one and I might just cave easier to you than a girl scout selling Grasshoppers. My lifesaver came via the latest MOPS cookbook and someone named Sara Odonnell. (Gotta try and give credit where credit is due.) So why do I love these sorts of cookbooks? Because, most times, the recipe has been tried and tested by a regular Joe (get it, haha, um yeah) and is most likely a family favorite. Yes, I have Rachel Ray and Pioneer Woman cookbooks but frankly, I reference these little guys/gals more often.

Sloppy Joes:

Brown up 1 pound of ground beef. Throw in some diced onion and green peppers if you'd like. For the sauce, add in some dashes of garlic salt, 3 TBSP brown sugar, a few squirts of mustard, and 1/2 cup ketchup (give or take, depending on how saucy you want).

I think hubby liked it's sweetness. He also praised the homemade french fries with that pink stuff called Utah fry sauce. Nope, those things need more work before ending up here. So there you have it. Manwich? Powdered packets with high sodium content? The time has come for me to say goodbye.

P.S. Anybody catch my nod to SNL and Adam Sandler? Fist bump right atcha!

1 comment:

Eryn Michelle said...

Yay - sounds yummy! I agree - I like little cookbooks better than the larger published cookbooks. Partly because things have been well-tested, but also because there isn't usually as much complexity - I mean, I am probably not going to buy pine nuts or whatever other froo-frah just to make one recipe. But that's boring old me! :)